Tuesday 17 January 2012

I wanna be a journalist!

So, I want to be a journalist. Like a lot of bright young things with a 'talent' for writing and an aptitude for current affairs, I think I can be one. I've been on the prospective journo band wagon for three years now. Yes, I did leave journalism after the first year but clawed my way back in, because I realised it's something I did enjoy and wanted to really pursue. Recently, I've begun to start thinking about what the next step for me is, journalistically. I'm interested in entertainment. Need more work experience. Going to graduate next year. Have to find a job. OH MY GOD!

I do that, I'm a worrier. Not just that I'm a woman with a life plan. I do like doing that, I like knowing what will happen all the time. I don't accept spontaneity. I want everything to be the way I planned because, well, I'm the boss of my own fecking life. At least I fool myself into believing that...

So.... I planned to go and see my ex- journo tutor for a meeting to address my woes. Honestly, can say that he's wonderful still helping after I left that course. I still write for LJMU Journalism which is a pretty awesome student website. Even though it short and sweet, I got a lot out of it which I thought I'd share with anyone who wants to be a journo and basically he told me to stop planning my life so much. SADFACE.

It doesn't matter how talented you are or even how much experience you have, most journalism jobs come from luck and knowing the right people. Journalism is extremely competitive and it helps if you know people to get your foot in the door. If not, though, you need to make those contacts yourself in order not just to be able to pull together an impressive portfolio of work experience, but to get yourself known around your own city. So that doesn't necessarily mean trying the 'big shots' in London, as I was thinking to bump up the old CV, it means staying in Liverpool and focusing on local outlets ie. Southport Visiter, The Echo, BBC Radio Merseyside etc. I've already worked for two of these publications which stands me in good stead. The most important thing I got from this though, was that final year really is when you need to make an impression. That's when you have to start getting the placements. Great for me because I only have to deal with the one I've got coming in February as part of second year work experience.There's only so much you can learn from placements, you don't need as many as you think. You've just got to make the most of the ones you've got.

Before you get your first job, you need qualifications. I'm thinking of doing an NCTJ course for 5 months in Newcastle (Fog of the tyne is all mine and all that). Because I have a disability, I'm hoping to get a diversity bursary (Rhymes) that pays for the course and living expenses. Although, there are loads of courses to choose from but if you don't get that particular course, which lets you take the NCTJ exams, very good exams to take because they teach things including: Ethics, law and shorthand. If you don't though, there's always on the job training (which you get by having a good portfolio and it won't burn a hole in your pocket if money is an issue).

My tutor also said that I have to be aware of my disability. Of course, as a student with a disability you do have the same ambitions as any other but I've had to accept that it may be that little bit harder for me to find stable employment. This doesn't mean I, or anyone else with a impairment should give up on what they want to do but you have to remain realistic.

There you are then. Hope this is helpful to you. Journalism is my goal for now but who knows I might just become Dr Niciu PhD. Just so that I can be known as a 'Dr' and have that title put on important documents like my credit card. Not so great if I'm in a restaurant and someone yells "IS THERE A DOCTOR PRESENT??? I THINK THIS MAN IS CHOKING" and I walk towards him with "YES, I'M A DOCTOR" and then I start babbling on at the man about Shakespeare. The guy that called for help looks confused as he realises that unfortunately, I am not a doctor of medicine, just of literature. Better stick to being a journo for now, love.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Steph. Thanks for the tips! I'm thinking about doing an NCTJ course at Leeds, so hopefully one I've finished my degree I'll be well on my way!

    ReplyDelete