Sunday 2 February 2014

Week 17 and 18

There we have it. After 18 weeks of blood, sweat and NCTJ induced tears. I've finished. HIGH FIVE. Yes, the fast track Diploma course has been, well, pretty fast. I don't think that me and my course mates were fully prepared for what and how much we've had to learn in this time. And the frantic last minute cramming that we've had  to do before exam week. What I've appreciated is that while we can now use this knowledge to get our first jobs in journalism, most of what we've learnt is useful in our everyday lives. Say you are having a conversation with a friend, you've not seen each other in a while, and you can be all like:  "Ah, council tax, that's a funny thing isn't it? Banding is A-H. A being the least expensive and H being the most. And it's based on 1991 house prices..." Or you're sitting watching a film with your partner, a thief appears, and you can inform your loved one and tell them that theft is in fact the "Dishonest appropriation of property belonging to a person with the intention of permanently depriving them of it. Not be confused with robbery, babe, you know. Because robbery is... "  See, this course can give you so much professionally and otherwise, so you really should consider doing it.

I thought that I'd give you a few final tips of how to succeed on your NCTJ course: 

1) Preparation: You've been accepted onto an NCTJ course, before you start, why not start reading key law topics or start learning shorthand? Yes, I'm not just saying this to be cruel, I assure you, it will help you a lot in the long run.

2) Time management and organisation: Like I've said before, if you keep on top of your work, it will mean that you'll be less stressed when it comes to exams and you'll actually have time for a social life.

3) Work hard on your placements: Be enthusiastic and keep producing work for the publication you work as often as you can. This way you will gain experience as well as building your portfolio. Also, keep in touch with the people you work with because having those contacts might come in handy in the future.

4) Work hard and play harder: I was lucky enough to meet some brilliant people on this course and it was only right that after a long, hard day, someone would say "Let's go for a drink". We went for a drink. Or two. Or three. Or four. Until we were all a wee bit too merry. But, that's how it should be. Journalists work hard and we should play harder. Something David Guetta clearly advocates:


Play Hard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dbEhBKGOtY

4) Take up a revision snack: Before I started this course, I looked at nachos and didn't think twice. You know, they were just corn chips, you could put cheese on them, bit of salsa. To be honest, they weren't all that. And then? I was introduced to them during my NCTJ. Jesus Christ. I used every available opportunity to plant my face into a bowl of Mexican corny, cheesy, sour creamy joy. I revised while eating them. They became my NCTJ diet staple. Seriously, pick a snack and revel in the joy of eating it. It will help you with many aspects of your course. Or you can be eating so much of it, that you will contemplate seeking out a support group. Either way, it's wonderful.

And that's it. Most of all, try and enjoy it. Because as tough as it might seem at times, it will be fun and worth doing. I'll be able to say that I'm a trained NCTJ journalist in a few weeks when I get my Diploma and that's brilliant.

As for me, I'm planning on staying in Liverpool to find my first job (or I'm now looking at Manchester). Most of the opportunities are down in London, at the moment, so I'll really need to see what I can get but I'm hopeful.  I'll be keeping you updated through this blog, I'm sure.

Until next time

S


No comments:

Post a Comment