Sunday 15 September 2013

NCTJ: Week two

Two weeks have passed and it really does feel like a month  (or two). We're starting to settle into the course now. We know what to expect. Four hours of shorthand in one day, things like that. By the end, I can tell that we are all questioning our sanity/ will to live. Actually, both of these.  I'm getting the hang of it now though. I'm quicker at reading sentences and pretty accurate with the occasional lapse. On Friday morning, I read an outline as 'Peeling balls' instead of 'Peeling bells'. It was pretty hilarious. And proof that you can actually have fun with shorthand, even though it has the capability to destroy your soul.

For me, I'd really like to see if I can pass the 60wpm exam that we have in early November and work from there. With my previous experience, I know that shorthand at speed is a real issue for me and it isn't made any easier by physical limitations. Last time I sat a dictation exam, the speed only at 40wpm. So, if I pass this 60wpm, I'll see whether I can do a faster speed but if I'm unable to it's not something I can really do much about. In interviews, I use a Dictaphone to record and then transcribe afterwards. I've been practising whenever I have the time to learn the theory. I will just have to see how it goes. However, unlike the rest of my class, I'm not too concerned about getting the industry standard of 100wpm. Whatever I can get, will, I'm sure, be useful to me.

Our second exam in November is for media law and this week we have already started to look at past papers, to get an idea of  style  and what type of things they will ask. Our tutor told us the NCTJ only have a limited number of questions to ask in certain ways. Considering that we have only learnt about defamation and contempt of court so far, we were able to attempt the paper and give informed answers. Basically, it will just be a case of memorising the laws and regurgitating them in the exam much like with Public Affairs (this week, we looked at the council and constitution) and Court Reporting. I'm going to start revising the things that we've learnt so far, to make it easier for when my exams come around.

This weekend, I went out interviewing for my first news story of the course about Heritage Month in Liverpool. I focused on the Bluecoat, an arts centre, on School Lane. They have an entire weekend full of activities exploring the building's heritage. I had to do a vox pop, which is always joyful. Approaching people and asking for their opinions is always nerve wracking, especially when some people aren't willing to give you a quote. I managed to get a few quotes from the public, as well as the Artistic Director of the Bluecoat. Quite alright, since I haven't interviewed in a while. Will write it up today.

Until next week

S.





No comments:

Post a Comment